-INTERNAL USE ONLY-
Proposed 2019 Legislative Session Priority
ADD 2-3 sentence description of the proposed priority and include links to online resources.
- Why is this proposal good for Washington’s kids?
- Why is this proposal good for racial equity?
- How does Children’s Alliance leadership on this issue advance our organizational racial equity goals?
- Is the proposal consistent with the Board of Directors’ adopted annual policy goals?
- With whom did you consult to develop this proposal? Who are potential partners that are not currently engaged in the issue?
- What is the degree of ownership of the issue in communities of color? What organizations in communities of color are working on the issue?
- What are potential unintended consequences of Children’s Alliance’s prioritization of this issue and this proposal?
- Is this proposal specifically designed to reduce racial disparities or prevent disparities from worsening, or is reduced racial disparities a hoped-for outcome of a broader-based policy? What evidence do we have that reduced racial disparities will occur?
- Is this proposal a remedy to an historical injustice?
- What additional information do we know about the broader social, historical or political context for this proposal?
- What parts of the Children’s Alliance Racial Equity Theory of Change does this proposal fit into?
- Does the proposal have a statewide impact?
- What is the population-level result for kids that the proposal is aimed at achieving? What do we know about the demographics of children affected? What missing data or information would be helpful?
- Does this proposal continue existing work of the Children’s Alliance or is it a new area for us?
- What other organizations/coalitions in Washington are prioritizing this proposal for the upcoming legislative session?
- How does this proposal fit into a larger theory of change for the issue overall?
- If we win, what are the implementation advocacy expectations? Is the agenda for implementation significant? Do we have the resources to follow through?
- Who are the legislative champions on this proposal?
- Does the proposal require an appropriation? If so, approximately what is it for the coming biennium and for the four-year outlook?
- What are the arguments for the proposal?
- What are the arguments against the proposal?
(Note: many of the questions above are designed, when looked at together, to answer questions of viability in the legislative arena.)